Bold and Beautiful in Berlin: Dell’s New Consumer PC Portfolio Unveiled at IFA 2019
Courtesy of Ray Wah, Senior Vice President, Consumer and Small Business Product Group, Dell
We’re back in the thick of European conference season. From Gamescom in Cologne to IFA 2019 in Berlin, Dell Technologies has exciting news coming out of both shows!
IFA is the largest consumer tech show in Europe and we expect to see significant news from 4K and OLED TVs to wearables to smartphones. We’ll be showcasing our latest PCs, of course, as the move to thin and light continues across the industry. It’s not only about smaller form factors though – consumers want adaptive, always connected, high-performing, and flawlessly designed PCs and Dell continues to set the bar for the PC industry.
Ahead of IFA, we’re expanding our consumer portfolio with brand new form factors and the addition of new 10th Gen Intel® Core™ processors to our current XPS and Inspiron portfolio delivering performance gains needed for compute intensive, demanding multi-thread workloads, while still handling 4K content efficiently. And in doing so, giving our customers heavyweight performance in thin, light and portable designs — the best of both worlds.
We’ve taken our most beloved and awarded product, the XPS 13, or “the best laptop you can buy,” and made it even better. Available August 27th, we’ve added Intel 10th Gen Core™ U series processors — with i7 hexacore models available in October — in our existing beautiful form factor, helping the XPS 13 maintain its position as the most powerful 13-inch laptop in its class1. Whether you’re a binge watcher or the busy mobile pro on the go, we’ve created the XPS 13 to be one of a kind. With the new Killer™ AX1650 (2×2) built on Intel WiFi 6 Chipset, wireless connectivity is three times as fast as the previous generation. Along with Dell CinemaColor and Dolby Vision and an optional 4K Ultra HD InfinityEdge display, the XPS 13 will remain eye candy for those glued to their screen. Available with either Windows 10 or Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, the latter which serves as the foundation of the XPS 13 developer edition, now in its 9th generation2.
And in case you missed it, the XPS 13 2-in-1, a COMPUTEX d&i Award winner, is now available for purchase. This 2-in-1 is a symbol of our meticulous attention to detail where every decision was driven by customer benefits and a mission to achieve a flawless design. The 2-in-1 is the world’s first Project Athena-verified laptop available with Intel’s new 10th Gen Core™, 10-nanometer silicon processors.
With the latest 10th Gen Intel® Core™ processors, we’re also bringing premium materials and performance to our Inspiron line with the introduction of the new Inspiron 14 7000 ultralight laptops. Weighing sub-2.5 lbs. (sub-1.1kg)3, this impressively portable design was achieved through introducing a lightweight yet remarkably durable magnesium alloy chassis. And with the new lid-open sensor, Connected Modern Standby and fingerprint reader built into the power button, the system signs on securely and starts in a flash. Plus, the stylish laptop features all-around narrow borders with 100% sRGB color coverage, perfect for mobile multitasking.
Additionally, we’re upgrading many other Inspiron systems with new 10th Gen Intel® Core™ processors, offering performance gains for multi-threaded workloads, including:
- Inspiron 13, 15, 17 7000 2-in-1, first announced at CES 2019 and a Computex Design Innovation Award winner, is now available with the addition of USB Type-C™ with Thunderbolt™ 3 support and in an optional silver chassis.
- Inspiron 14, 15 5000 2-in-1 delivers mobility and expandability with the bonus of an Active Pen compatible touchscreen.
- Inspiron 13 5000 offers a portable and thin form factor with optional mobile broadband4 for easy connectivity; and two sleek color options – Platinum Silver and Iced Lilac.
- Inspiron 24 5000 & 27 7000 All-in-One (AIOs) desktops announced at Computex 2019 and are available Friday, August 23. These desktops fit in your living room or dorm room as a simple and attractive entertainment system or TV replacement.
- Inspiron 14, 15 5000 (5493, 5494, 5593, 5594) includes a narrow border, FHD anti-glare wide-viewing display and Dell Cinema6, perfect for the content-hungry user.
- Inspiron 14, 15, 17 3000 offers optional NVIDIA® GeForce® MX230 discrete graphics card. The 14 and 15 offer a stylish build for on-the-go tasks, while the 17 is made for the entire family to enjoy throughout the home.
Our small business customers care about reliability, security and price and are often wearing many hats. Our new Vostro 14 and 15 5000 laptop allows customers to tackle more demanding tasks with the performance benefits of NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 discrete graphics. Plus, the TPM 2.0 security chip and optional fingerprint reader keep data secure. We’ve also added our award-winning software, Dell Mobile Connect, so workers can connect their smartphones to their PC for increased efficiency. Overall, the laptop combines critical features into one affordable device small businesses can rely on to get work done.
We are also introducing our first-ever 5000 series performance desktop for Small Businesses giving content creators, game developers and engineers the power, graphics and storage they need to perform their job at their best. The desktop equips customers with 9th Gen Intel® Core™ R processors and discrete graphics options up to NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070.
Finally, we are integrating 10th generation Intel Core processors within our current Vostro portfolio:
- Vostro 13 5000, a compact, thin design fits into a carry-on; plus, it’s Skype for Business certified for on-the-go work calls.
- Vostro 14, 15 3000 equipped with the hardware-based TPM 2.0 security chip and fingerprint reader integrated onto the power button for top security.
For more specs, details, pricing and availability across our announcements, please check out the official Dell.com IFA landing page HERE.
- Most powerful: Based on Principled Technologies Report commissioned by Dell, November 2018 using the Cinebench CPU (multi-core test) comparing the Dell XPS 13 against competitive products with similar 15W configurations when measuring for sustained performance under a heavy CPU workload and controlling for processor wattage. Actual performance will vary based on usage, configuration, and manufacturing variability.
- The Dell XPS 13 laptop, developer edition began life as “Project Sputnik” a scrappy skunkworks project to pilot a developer-focused system. Thanks to the amazing feedback and support we received from the community it became an official product. Years later, we are on the ninth generation of the XPS 13 developer edition.
- Weights vary depending on configuration and manufacturing variability.
- Subject to service provider’s broadband subscription and coverage area; speeds may vary. Additional charges will apply. Contact your service provider for details.
- Color offerings are subject to regional availability.
- CinemaColor and CinemaStream (SmartByte) are not available on Windows 10 in S Mode.